Friday 24 September 2010

Tesco's bag and dfferent hats







I had time to kill in between finishing tasks and meeting Laura the shepherd. I could sit in the truck and use the phone and write stuff or I could get out on the Moss. The incessant rain of the last few days was easing and though it was wet, dull and grey and there probably wouldn't be much to see I headed out to look where we have a work party next month.
After 2 days of hard rain the Moss was wet, very wet, wet enough for most treads to be into 3-4" of water. This dampness brings out the rich colours making them almost glow in the dim, moist air. I splashed alongside the plantation and suddenly, looking like a gang of naughty boys 20 red deer hinds and calves crashed over the fence and bounced off to the middle of the moss. It is close to the rut and I expect that they are starting to gather though I saw no sign of any stags. As I watched the deer through the binoculars what looked like a Tesco's bag on the wind floated by in the distance - a male hen harrier hunting along the edge of the High Moss Pow. All around me meadow pipits pee-peed, are they birds that bred here or migrants passing through or northern birds arriving for the winter - another mystery unanswered. Ravens rasped and coughed behind me and overhead a few house martins weaved their way south. By then my ears were working full-time and I heard a snipe making its squelching call above, a party of skylarks barrelled by burbling as they went and all around small parties of geese clamoured, pinkies, greylags and even a party of honking Canadas.
Time to head back to the truck and meet Laura to talk about the end of this years grazing and possibilities for next year - sheep hat on, bird hat off.